Sunday, 10 March 2013

Force Majeure - 7b - First Ascent

On the 9th March 2013 I made the first ascent of a new line in Denbigh Quarry. For me this is a big milestone, having never bolted a route before and to climb a line of such difficulty.

The route is a real technical test piece involving some very elusive moves on slopers to gain the upper section. I'm very proud of it and I think anyone who climbs it will enjoy the unique experience.

The name is a French term meaning "Greater Force". When unforeseen circumstances beyond your control prevent you from fulfilling something or forces of nature make something no longer possible. A very fitting name for my personal journey on the route, battling the weather, dark nights and various other obstacles.

Many thanks to my partner Danielle for her support and belaying. She really believes in me and I really can't thank her enough!

Also thanks to Luke Clarke for the footage and Ryan McConnell for introducing me to the crag.

Here's some footage of the first ascent:


Force Majeure - 7b - First Ascent from Luke Owens on Vimeo.

No comments: